Spiced Banana Muffins



 About a week ago I bought some bananas and promptly forgot to eat them, so yesterday I decided that before they get too over-ripe, I'd bake something with them. I don't have a loaf tin, so I couldn't make banana bread, so I decided muffins were the way to go. I love baking with bananas because they add extra moisture and sweetness without adding too much extra sugar. I wanted something that incorporated a bit of spice and warmth, so I I found a recipe on taste.com for banana, honey and cinnamon muffins, and adapted it slightly using ingredients I had at home. 

Instead of honey, I used golden syrup, just because it has a richer, more caramelised flavour, which I prefer. I also used duck eggs instead of chicken eggs, because we happened to have some. Duck eggs have a really big yolk, which gives more of an eggy flavour and keeps the batter moist throughout cooking. 

I'm really happy with how these muffins turned out, they're light and fluffy, but still moist and doughy, with a great, rich flavour. Here's the recipe, with a couple of suggestions: 


Spiced Banana Muffins

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups self raising flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder - the original recipe used a whole teaspoon, but mine rose a little too much in the pan and peaked, so I reduced this amount
  • 1/2 tsp bi carbonate of soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon - you could also add some ginger, nutmeg or cloves to make these more spiced
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Large Bananas (about a cup), mashed
  • 2 Eggs
  • 75g Butter, melted
  • 125 mL milk - you could use almond milk for a nutty flavour, or skim milk for less fat
  • 2 tb golden syrup - you could also use honey, or maple syrup for a different flavour
  • 1tsp vanilla essence 


Method: 

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius, and grease a 12 hole muffin pan - I'd recommend using muffin cases as this will keep the outside from drying out.
  2. Sift the flour, baking powder, bi carb soda, cinnamon and salt together, then stir in the brown sugar. 
  3. In a separate bowl, mix the bananas, eggs, butter, milk, golden syrup and vanilla together.
  4. Make a well in the dry mix, and pour in the wet ingredients. Be careful not to over mix the batter, or the muffins won't rise. - My Mum always says to only ever mix 12 times, and I found this is a pretty good guide, just make sure you incorporate all of the dry ingredients from the sides of the bowl.
  5. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, and pop into the oven for 20 minutes. They will be done when a skewer comes out clean, and the muffins are spongy to the touch. 
I'd recommend serving them straight out of the oven, they'd go great with a spiced cream cheese icing, or a butterscotch or caramel sauce. 

That's it from me today, if you decide to make these tag me at @lizakhins on instagram or twitter!

Thanks for reading, 
Liza xx









Comments

Popular Posts