Mum's Fruit Mince Pies
Ever since I can remember, a big tradition for christmas time has been making fruit mince pies. Mum, my sisters and I make dozens of these every year, and the recipe we use always turns out perfectly. Even though I'm not home for Christmas this year, I couldn't resist whipping up a batch.
This recipe makes around 18 fruit mince pies, depending on how thick you roll the pastry, and the tins that you use. I used a muffin tin, and a fluted scone cutter.
- 120g Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 240g Self Raising Flour
- 60g Plain Flour
- 120g Butter
- Cold Eater
- 1 Jar Fruit Mince (I use Robertsons fruit mince, 410g)
- Mix the egg yolk and sugar together
- Sift the flours and rub in the butter
- Mix the egg yolk and sugar into the flour mixture
- Add cold water to bring the mixture to a firm dough
- Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 180
- Knead the dough to soften, then roll out to approx 3mm thick
- Cut rounds and press into muffin tin to form the base
- Fill each with 1tsp fruit mince
- Cut lids using a smaller circular cutter, or shape that will fit on top
- Brush the bottom of the lid with milk, and place on top
- Prick the top if sealed, and brush with more milk
- Bake in oven for 10-12 min
- Gently remove from pan, and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Merry Christmas! Let me know if you make these, I hope you enjoy them!